Forty students from the Chatham Charter School chapter of DECA, an organization of marketing students, competed with other high school students from across the state in events during the 2022 North Carolina DECA Career Development Conference. Held February 24-26 in Greensboro, the conference featured general sessions with speakers and award recognitions in addition to the written and role play competitive events. Senior Mackenzie Brooks won a $1,000 Sonya W. Dismuke scholarship on Thursday.
The following students were recognized for outstanding achievement in competitive events for top test scores, top role play, or both:
- Lily Byrd and Addyson Foushee, 2nd place overall, Business Services Operations
- Silas Christenbury, 3rd place overall, Integrated Marketing Communications Event
- Hayley Rakes, top test score, Apparel & Accessories Marketing
- Landon Hussey, top role play, Business Services Marketing
- Alexis Hayes, top role play, Quick Serve Restaurant Management
- Molly Wilson, top role play, Quick Serve Restaurant Management
- Brooke Garner, top role play, Restaurant and Food Service Management
- Elphie Spillman, top test score, Retail Merchandising
State scores allowed Byrd, Foushee and Christenbury to qualify for DECA’s International Career Development Conference (ICDC) that will be held April 22-26 in Atlanta, Georgia. In addition, Spillman and Ariana Rivera-Romo had already qualified for ICDC as part of the School-Based Enterprise Gold Recertification Team.
Chatham Charter DECA chapter advisors are Larisa Spillman and Ashley Wood.