On Wednesday, December 1, District 4 of NC DECA held its annual competitive events at the Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. The Chatham Charter chapter of DECA brought 44 students who competed in preparation for state level events. Students from four counties, Alamance, Chatham, Lee, and Orange, attended. The Chatham Charter chapter advisors are marketing teachers Larisa Spillman and Ashley Wood.
The event categories were Principles of Marketing, Apparel and Accessories Marketing, Sports and Entertainment Marketing, and Quick Serve Restaurant Management. Competitors were judged during role plays on multiple categories of marketing applications taught in high school marketing courses. They included communication skills, customer service, problem solving, and principles used in a business setting. Each student took a written marketing-based exam prior to the role play portion of the district event. Their scores for both were combined in determining how the students placed overall. All Chatham Charter students were also recognized for earning overall proficiency in their areas.
Chatham Charter award winners:
Apparel and Accessories Marketing
- Role play honoree: Keeley Allen
- Top exam scorers: Elphie Spillman, Sarah Gullion and Hayley Rakes
- Top 10 overall: Elphie Spillman (2nd), Keeley Allen, and Hayley Rakes
Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Role play honoree: Olivia Cheek
- Top 10 overall: Olivia Cheek, Teigan Hayhurst, and Thomas O’Hara
Quick Serve Restaurant Management
- Role play honoree: Silas Christenbury and Aaron Kreiss
- Top exam scorers: Silas Christenbury
- Top 10 overall: Taylor Brewer, Silas Christenbury (2nd), Addyson Foushee, and Austin Hill
“It was great to see the excitement of our students in being able to return to in-person competition after virtual events last year. We look forward to the upcoming state level where there is a wide variety of competitive areas for the students to choose to compete in,” said Wood.
The state DECA Career Development Conference will be held in Greensboro February 24-26, 2022.